Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Catch

I would not be doing anyone justice (OK, maybe just me, really, but whatever) if I didn't mention "The Catch" this week. I mean, it involved only the best football player ever to play the game and walk the face of this planet (and no, I'm not referring to Dwight Clark). If you don't know what I'm talking about, then I really can't speak to you anymore. Really.

"The Catch" is one of the most notable plays ever in NFL history. The greatest player on earth in any sport (can you tell I'm a fan?) - Joe Montana - threw the winning touchdown pass to Dwight Clark in the 1982 NFC Championship game against the Dallas Cowboys. Down 27-21 with under a minute to go, the great Montana did what he always did so well... drove the 49ers down to near the goal line and made the play that sent the Niners to the Super Bowl. Clark made an amazing catch, and the Niners were headed to the biggest game of the year. Does it get any better than that? OK, maybe a win in the Super Bowl tops it, but that play will forever live in infamy. Unfortunately for me, I was only 4 years old when it happened, so I really have no recolection whatsoever of seeing this play when it happened (if I saw the play when it happened) but it's still one of my favorite plays, by my all-time favorite player on one of my most favoritest teams. Yes, I know favoritest isn't a word, but I want you to know how much I love Joe Montana and the San Francisco 49ers.

I'm ready for the Super Bowl. I wish it would get here already! In the meantime, I'm going to watch this video over and over and over and over and re-live the moment. And you can, too! Ahhh, football...

2 comments:

Patty said...

Joe was throwing the ball away and got lucky! :p

Sharon said...

I agree with Patty. The best team on the planet are my Vikings and we all know it!!