Monday, June 1, 2009

Happy 2009 hurricane season!?!?

Although I'm still living the nightmare of the 2008 hurricane season, I can't help but mention that today officially begins the 2009 hurricane season (never mind the fact that we've already had our first tropical depression last week). I'm keeping my fingers (and toes!) crossed - and knocking on wood and doing whatever else it is that you do for luck - in hopes that we don't even have the threat of a storm this season, but living where we do we know that it is always a possibility. The prediction (and I use that word lightly, as we all know how accurate predictions are these days) is that this will be a near normal hurricane season with nine to 14 named storms, four to seven that could become hurricanes, including one to three major. I find it interesting that because of Ike, the National Hurricane Center is rethinking the way they categorize storms, and will use the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale on an experimental basis, basically removing all references to storm surge, as the storm surge that happened with Ike was not what was supposed to happen for a category 2 storm on the old scale. And, in case you're wondering, here are the names for the storms for this season. Here's to hoping I don't utter one of these names whatsoever in the next five months!
  • Ana
  • Bill
  • Claudette
  • Danny
  • Erika
  • Fred
  • Grace
  • Henri
  • Ida
  • Joaquin
  • Kate
  • Larry
  • Mindy
  • Nicholas
  • Odette
  • Peter
  • Rose
  • Sam
  • Teresa
  • Victor
  • Wanda

1 comment:

sharon said...

I don't know why I can finally comment on the blogs, but I love this option!