Thursday, June 4, 2009

Happy Retirement, Mom!!!!

So, today officially marked my mom's last day as a teacher. Ever. Well, as a full-time school teacher, anyway. She has taught me for 32 years, and I continue to learn from her each and every day, so she'll always be a teacher. But as far as being in a walled classroom, today was her final day.

Mom has been in education for over 35 years, almost 20 of those here in Texas. She has made such a positive influence on so many students, and it's so rewarding for me, as her daughter, to have met many of her former students and hear about her influence on them and the stories about her and how she helped them become who they are today. Her school held a retirement reception for her last week (see photos below), and a set of triplets who were in kindergarten last year (mom had one of them in her class) came running in to give her a big hug. That says a lot, and I think pretty much sums up her teaching career. She loves kids. She loves teaching (although I know she had many challenging days throughout her career). And she loves the reward.

She's been such an influence on me (I almost changed my major in college to education because of her, but my love of sports prevailed), and I can't thank her enough for all that she's done for me and taught me. I know she and my dad are looking forward to moving down to their townhouse on the lake (yes, they sold their house in The Woodlands), and living the retired life. They've been waiting all their lives for this moment. They've already got a couple trips planned (funny... my initial response when she told me that one of the trips was planned for September was, "but aren't you in school then?" That was one of those DUH moments for me), and Jay and I have bets as to how long it takes her to get involved in the local politics down here.

So, to my mother, I salute you and thank you for the 35+ years you dedicated your life to children and teaching. Teachers don't get nearly enough recognition and thank you's. Your tireless effort and love of the job is inspiring to me each and every day. I have learned so much from you. You are my personal hero and I look up to you, like many of your students, each and every day. I love you mom! Congratulations!!!!!!! You've earned it!

Mom's principal giving a little speech.

The cake.

This was us as we arrived with flowers.
The happy family!

Mom with one of the CISD Board of Trustees members.
Had to throw in a picture of us!
Mom giving her speech.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tell mom that I am proud of her too, and I love her. Congrats from the Bratruds!!