Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Bad News and Really Bad News

So another day down. Today was easier. Not great, but easier.

First, the bad news. We started to gut the house today. Our insurance adjuster still hasn't come, but if we have any hope of saving the house, we had to get into the walls. And what a mess we found! Gross, gross, gross, gross. Wet insulation is nasty! Our house is old (from the '70s) so it had the old-fashioned paneling on most of the walls, so that made it easier. The sheetrock... now that's a different story. We learned a lot a lot about our house today. That's the bad news. It's a little worse than we initially thought.

The really bad news is that they found two dead bodies in the debris rubble in our neighborhood. One of them was in the park across the street from us. So, not only are we dealing with the loss of our house, but we had to witness that. Just when I think I've seen it all, I haven't.

That's the latest update from us. Tomorrow is more of the same. Thanks to everyone who has sent messages and called. Your thoughts and prayers mean everything to us.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Amanda,
You are in my thoughts and prayers as well as my family's. We have sent aid through disaster relief, but want to do something for you. I feel awful that I am so far away and can't be there to help you. please let us know what we can do!!
Love
Lindsay

Unknown said...

Hey Amanda and Jay,
We have thought of you often this week and are praying for you! We will be back in town this weekend...if there is ANYTHING we can do, please let me know. We have a garage full of furniture and other things that you are welcome to if you would like them. I just can't believe the timing of all of this for you...We love you! Ashlie and Steve