Friday, September 11, 2009

I shouldn't read old blog posts / Remembering Sept. 11

I really shouldn't read old blog posts, but I do, especially as they relate to Hurricane Ike, because like I said in my previous post, there are parts of days (and in some cases, entire days) that I can't remember. Reading old posts at least gives me an idea of what I was thinking at that particular moment.

However, one year ago today is one of those days I remember quite vividly. I remember seeing on the TV and getting the phone call from the City that we had to evacuate. This was the day that everyone realized Galveston was taking a direct hit from Ike, and we were pretty much screwed. Jay says this is also the day that we moved the stuff to the townhouse, but I don't see how that was possible if we had to be out of here by noon (note: neither of us can remember if we actually made it out by noon or not... somehow I don't think we did because we made two trips to The Woodlands with cars and stuff, but who knows).

Anyway, that's all I'm really going to say about Ike and today, because in the big scheme of things, me having to evacuate was not as big a deal as what happened to this country on this date in 2001. We all remember where we were on Sept. 11, 2001. I know I do. Like it was yesterday (funny, can't remember one year ago, but eight years? No problem... guess that explains a lot). It was horrible and still gives me chills when I think about it.

To all of our military, police, fire, EMS, first responders... thank you for what you do for us and this great country. We wouldn't be here if it weren't for you. You allow us to live the lives we do in the greatest country in the world. Thank you really isn't enough, but I don't know what else to say.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Makes you appreciate what you have. I think we were both in Chris's office watching the TV that morning. I know I'll never forget that.