Friday, September 18, 2009

End of an era

Today marks the end of one of the greatest soap operas ever. OK, maybe not really, but it does mark the end of an era for Guiding Light. After 72 years (the longest running soap opera ever), the show will no longer air after today. Kinda brings a tear to my eye. Not that I watched it every day (hardly... who has time to do that when they work 10 hours a day?), but I know that my grandma and many of my family members do, and I think my mom did at some point in time in her life as well.

Is it the greatest acting in the world? Nope. Is it life-changing? Nope again. Can you pick up in the middle of the week where you left it one year ago and get all the latest story lines and find out who's carrying who's baby, and who killed who, and who divorced who only to marry someone's friend? Absolutely. And that's what I love about soap operas. When I'm home sick, or just taking a day off of work (um, never mind... that doesn't happen), I can turn on my soap operas and find out what I've missed in the last year.

With that said, and Guiding Light now going off the air for good, I'll miss Josh and Reva, Philip and Beth, Alan Spaulding (the jerk that he is), the Bauer's 4th of July parties, and all of the drama that comes with a soap opera. Like I said, I didn't watch it on a regular basis (although, now that I'm thinking about it, maybe I scheduled my classes around it in college... I can't really remember), it is kind of odd to think that the light will no longer be lit on CBS at 2 p.m. in the afternoon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, stated! Good Bye Guiding Light...you will be missed!