Saturday, December 6, 2008

Good news, bad news and good news again

I'll start with the good news. Jay and I are Aunt and Uncle again! YIPPEE!!!!!! Our friends, CK and J, had a baby boy this morning, and we hear he is healthy and beautiful. We are so happy and excited for our friends, and we can't wait to see pictures of AJK and eventually meet him! CK and J went through so much to bring him into this world, it truly is a blessing that he is finally here with us. We love you guys so much and can't wait for you to come home next summer for good!!!!!! CONGRATS!!!!

And now for the bad news. We found out yesterday that Jay has to have surgery on his knee (his sixth since we've been together... mind you, he never had surgery before he met me. I'm not implying anything, just sayin'). Apparently, in the aftermath of Hurricane Ike, on the first day we were back at the house to clean up, when we were moving the refrigerator, the door opened (it was full of water and face down on the floor) and hit him on the left knee. At the time, he didn't really think anything of it, plus adrenaline was in full swing for a few weeks, so he didn't really notice it. It's been bothering him since then, so he finally gave in to see an orthopedic doctor out of UTMB. Turns out he tore the cartilage all the way down to the bone. The doctor likened it to a pothole in the road. Nice, eh? Surgery is now scheduled for the 29th. They'll do a scope for sure, as well as an OATS procedure, and most likely a regrowth procedure. The one that his doctor prefers involves drilling holes into the knee bone itself to allow the stem cells to regrow. Sounds painful just thinking about it. He'll be out for six weeks, on crutches, and then extensive rehab and PT.

And this is where I get mad. Not at Jay, but at Ike and our whole situation. Let me preface this by saying again, I am thankful we have a place to live. However, there are no full bathrooms on the bottom floor, so if, after surgery, Jay wishes to take a shower while he is on crutches and has to stay off of his leg, or if he wishes to sleep in bed with me, he must literally crawl somehow (probably backwards on his butt) up the stairs and then back down again (although, not backwards). At our house, he could simply hobble his way to the bathroom as there are no stairs. We were hoping to get started on construction on the house after the first part of the new year, but this may now be put off. We were planning on doing some things ourselves, but now it looks like we may have to rethink that plan. Actually, I know we'll have to rethink that plan. When does the madness and ridiculousness stop? Really. I'm tired of the continued fallout from the storm. It's really starting to piss me off.

And, because I don't want to be "Debbie Downer" today, I'll end on some good news. It may not be good news to all of you, but it's the little things in life that make me smile, and Chuy's jalapeno sauce makes me smile. I just happen to be going there for lunch today. I'll be sure to think of all of you (you know who you are) while I am stuffing my face with chips and jalapeno sauce.

Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

aA said...

I'm glad a little green pepper sauce can bring joy into your day. I hope the season kicks in for ya! Red sauce and green sauce, with a wreath of cilantro.