Monday, September 13, 2010

Two years ago today

I'm hoping that as each "anniversary" of Hurricane Ike comes and goes, it will get easier. It was two years ago today that Hurricane Ike slammed ashore in Galveston. Nothing like a direct hit by a strong Cat 2 hurricane!

I've used the term "nightmare" before to describe it, and I'll continue to use that word. I don't know how else to tell you what that was like for me. I went to bed last night thinking about it. Remembering what I was doing at what point in time in the day and night, not only when Hurricane Ike hit, but the days before and the many, many days after. The highs and lows. The wondering and worrying. The lack of sleep. Eating breakfast and dinners made on an electric skillet run off of a generator at mom and dad's house (thank God for that skillet!). Driving to and from The Woodlands to our house. And the list goes on and on and on and on.

Look, I know that there are a lot worse things in life than what we went through. I get that. Really, I do, but like I said in my previous post, at that point in my life, it was pretty horrible. I had never been through a hurricane like that. I thought I had prepared myself for what was going to happen to our house and neighborhood, but you can never truly prepare yourself. I still cry every now and then thinking about it. I've been wanting to scrapbook the whole experience, and do some photo collages for the house (before, during, and after), but I haven't quite been able to bring myself to do it just yet. We took over 600 pictures (or maybe even more!) and when I look at them, all those feelings come flooding back (no pun intended).

We had some great support from our family and friends during and after the Hurricane, and that truly helped. You know who you are. Thank you so much for being there for us when we needed you!

1 comment:

Sharon said...

I know it's hard to think about all that happened, but look at what you got out of it. Lots of hard by you and Jay has really made your house a home!!
Love you!