Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Thank you Veterans

I'm reminded today, on Veterans Day, of many Veterans in my life, and many men and women who are currently serving this great country. My grandfathers were Veterans. Jay's grandfather and father were Veterans. And we have many friends and family members who are currently serving our country. I thank them all for fighting for our freedoms so that we can have the things we have and live the lives we do. They are all heroes in my eyes. I respect and honor you and thank you from the bottom of my heart.

With the recent tragedy at Fort Hood, it reminds me of how precious life is, and at the same time it brings out a hatred in me for people who commit these types of crimes. I find it so appalling and so unbelievable, yet I know, as a country, we'll pull through this, just like we've pulled through other tragedies. My thoughts and prayers are with the Fort Hood community, with all the Veterans out there who have served, and for the men and women who continue to serve this great country.

Jay and I have decided (OK, mostly me, but when I mentioned it to him, he didn't really oppose) that we want to do something for our troops this holiday season and send them care packages. I have a friend from high school who is currently overseas in Iraq. I've contacted him on Facebook (what a great invention!) to see what they want / need, and we're going to send a bunch of boxes of just stuff (candy, body wash, etc.) to him. Last year at this time of the year, I was pouty and down and mopey because of the situation we were in and had gone through with Ike. This year, for me, it's about our troops. I feel a strong urge and need to support them however I can, and I thought I'd start by doing something so simple as sending a care package with little reminders of home.

Happy Veterans Day to all of the Veterans out there. Thank you for your service. You are not forgotten!

No comments: