Thursday, May 22, 2008

Hurricanes


So I don't really have anything exciting to talk about, because that's just how my life goes these days, but we've been talking a lot about crisis planning at work, especially now that hurricane season is just about a week away (starts June 1!), so I thought I'd dive into the topic.

I had to chuckle today when I saw a headline on the Chronicle's website that said something to the effect of "U.S. Forecasters expecting active hurricane season." This after the same website posted a story a few days a
go that said "Cooler weather to cause fewer hurricanes." Um... so which is it, folks? More or less? This just goes to show that we really don't know what's going to happen, so they'll just make something up for news.

I used to panic this time of year (with hurricane season right around the corner), especially considering where we live, and the fact that we had to leave four days after we moved in because of Rita, but I'm done panicking. There is no way to predict what's going to happen. All we can do is be prepared. Which, we are (and you should be, too!... if you live in Southeast Texas). I'd just like to make it through one summer without dreading what forms in the Gulf.

This cartoon was sent to me after Katrina and Rita (I think by a certain someone in Michigan). The cartoon was done by Jeff Koterba of the Omaha Herald. It makes me laugh every time I see it. I used to live in the North, and I remember those snow days, and I'm not sure which is worse!

That's it for now. Have a great weekend. Happy Memorial Day!

No comments: