Sunday, February 12, 2012

Never in my wildest dreams

If you would have told me 10 years ago - heck, even five years ago - that in 2012 I would be considering a run for public office, I would have told you that you were nuts and should be admitted to the looney bin. But, that's exactly what is happening. I am considering a run at the Clear Lake Shores city council in the May elections. Crazy, huh? You can stop snickering now.

But that's what shitty decisions by the current city council will do to you. It will make you think about giving them a run for their money and taking their place on council. Ever since Jackie Fuller and Tami Perkins were elected to council two years ago (I still have a hard time digesting this fact), I have paid more attention than ever to the actions of city council, and have had it up to here (if you could see me now, my hand is above my head) with their inept abilities to do anything good for this city. They have done nothing but ruin the reputation of some good people, and set this city way back. It's going to take a couple years just to get it back to where it was before they took office.

My problem is this... I want to think that I can help change this city around. I really do. But it's going to be a challenge because of how far set back we are and how divided the citizens have become. But then I think, "well, it took these two yahoos to put us in this position, so why not believe that I can make a difference?" I always say that it only takes one, and that's exactly what has happened. So why not that one be me? (That was totally not the proper grammar, but I don't know how else to say it.)

I think I'm fair. I always listen to both sides of the story (thanks to being in management!). I try to think about what I'm going to say before I say it (although we all know that my big mouth sometimes gets the best of me!). I definitely understand what it means to be a steward of taxpayer money (something Jackie and Tami have no concept of)... I have to be that every day in my day job.

So, we'll see. I have until March 5 to file the papers, so I have a little time. I'll keep you posted.

Have a great week!

1 comment: