Friday, August 14, 2009

Michael Vick

Ok, so I told myself I wasn't going to blog about this, but I can't help it. Sports is a passion and football is my favorite sport, and, well, you know me... I usually don't keep my mouth shut on most things.
Am I appalled at what he did? Absolutely, positively, no questions asked. It's incomprehensible. I'm not a self-proclaimed animal lover, but I also don't hate them. And I think what he did was wrong.
But I also think that the man paid his dues. That's what's so great about our justice system. (There's also plenty wrong with our justice system, ala Donte Stallworth, but that's a separate conversation.) I listen to sports talk radio in the morning, and Vick is pretty much all they were talking about this morning. And it'll be a good chunk of the conversation for the next few weeks, probably until he's fully reinstated. Plenty of people think he never should have been reinstated in the NFL in the first place, let alone for the Eagles to sign him. And I think I have to disagree. Like I said before, the man paid his dues. In more ways than one. But you know what... football is his job. What about people who commit crimes, do their time in prison, and are released? They find jobs in society and work, so why can't Vick? Just because he doesn't sit behind a desk or anything like that, doesn't mean he shouldn't get another opportunity at a job. He just happens to play football for a living. Am I wrong? Some people will say I am, and that's fine. I can understand why they would say that. But I really don't think it's that big of a deal that he's back playing in the NFL.
The job I wouldn't want is one in the Eagles PR office. No thank you. No way. No how. That has got to be a tough position right now. Even though Vick has reached out to the Humane Society (I don't know that I really believe him when he says he's learned his lesson, but again, another conversation entirely), there are still going to be organizations and individuals who feel strongly about what he did, and are going to make their voices heard. And again, that's fine. That's what's great about our country. We have that freedom and right. But I still wouldn't want an Eagles PR job right now.
The simple fact that I'm talking about Michael Vick means that football season is here. And I couldn't be more excited. The Texans have their first preseason game tomorrow night, and Ohio State opens against Navy on September 5. O-H!! I-O!!! Football season is here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: